Points & Miles can be daunting, and finding the right credit card is downright confusing. This comprehensive list has all of the best credit cards. As always, make sure the card will work for you. Ask yourself if you’ll get value from the card, the rewards it earns, and if there is a card that will work better for you. If you need any guidance, I’m happy to help – just hop over to contact me.
The Sterling Traveler is a reader-supported blog.
This post may contain links that earn us a commission when you click on them. While using the links here is optional, we would appreciate it if you did.
Table of Contents
Best cards Under 5/24
If you have been approved for less than five cards in the last 24 month period, these cards are the best ones. Think of 5/24 as going to a buffet, but you can only get certain foods for your first five dishes. You wouldn’t necessarily skip over those foods for other foods you can get at any other time. These cards are listed in the recommended order that you get them.
- Chase Sapphire Preferred OR Chase Sapphire Reserve
- Chase Freedom Flex
- Chase World of Hyatt
- Chase United Explorer OR Chase Aeroplan MasterCard
- Chase Freedom Unlimited
Best Cards Over 5/24
Once you’re 5/24 or above, your chance of being approved for a Chase personal card is basically nil. The best strategy is to look outside of the Chase ecosystem for other cards that will work in your wallet. Unlike the cards above, these aren’t necessarily listed in any particular order.
Best Business Cards
If you’re eligible for business cards, you can find a ton of value from any of these cards.
Best Dining Cards
Best Grocery Cards
Best Airline Cards
- Chase Aeroplan MasterCard
- Citi American Airlines Platinum Select Mastercard
- Barclays American Airlines Aviator Business OR Barclays American Airlines Aviator Red
- Bank of America Alaska Airlines OR Bank of America Alaska Airlines Business
Best Hotel Cards
- American Express Hilton Aspire
- Chase World of Hyatt OR Chase World of Hyatt Business (both if you want to earn two category 1-4 free night certificates)
- American Express Hilton Surpass (may have to click on “Personal Cards” after clicking)